5. Many complex instructions can access memory, such as direct addition between data in two memory locations.
6. Mainly used in normal PC’s, Workstations and servers .
8. Examples of CISC Processors: Intel x86.
RISC | Reduced instruction set Computing.
1. Small set of instructions.
8. Examples of RISC Processors: Atmel AVR, PIC, ARM.
Large (100 to 300) Instruction Set Small (100 or less)
Complex (8 to 20) Addressing Modes Simple (4 or less)
Specialized and complex Instruction Format Simple
Variable Instruction Lengths Fixed
Variable Execution Cycles Standard for most
Higher Cost / CPU Complexity Lower
Compilation Simplifies Processor design
Processor design Complicates Software